Due to pregnancy insomnia followed by a newborn baby, I’ve missed a lot of sleep lately. Now I am regaining some sort of regular sleep pattern- for the moment- I am making up for lost time on the strange dreams- here are a few of my ‘favourite’ worst nightmares- now go analyse me…
1) Being in prison- I am fascinated and terrified by prisons. I am the same with cruise ships and the Titanic. I watch anything from Louis Theroux’s Behind Bars to Orange is the New Black and I love Jane McDonald (but hate deep water). I suppose a cruise ship is similar to a prison- most of the cabins have no window and there is potential to be stuck on board with people you don’t get on with. You all eat together in a big room and the meals are often recycled from leftovers. There is also a dress code.
I think my main fear is being sent to prison for something you didn’t do or ending up in a foreign prison because of a communication issue. Or someone planting drugs on your suitcase in the airport or just ending up on a cruise really.
2) Lion(s) on the loose where you would’t expect them. One of my favourite films is The Ghost and The Darkness, a fictionalised account of two lions who took to eating workers building a railway in 1898. Today I read that the lions at the centre of the story were man eaters because they had bad teeth and couldn’t kill their regular prey so turned to humans. So there is obviously some method to my nocturnal madness.
I used to imagine that I’d encounter a lion when I walked to work very early in the morning in the half light- I never did, although I did almost get set alight by a leaf incinerator being operated by an over zealous council worker.
My most recent dream involved having two lions as pets and trying to keep them from coming upstairs by using baby gates which proved futile so I had to barricade myself in a panic room. So realistic was my dream that even when I awoke, I was still trying to work out what to do about the lions downstairs. Call the RSPCA? Cat’s Protection?
3) Never-ending hen do. Need I say more, see also nightclub (is there somewhere to sit where I don’t need to shout being my main considerations) Live music is so much better.
4) Being told I am in a play and I’ve not bothered to learn the script or that I have to write an essay but haven’t been to any of the classes. I suppose this means I like to be prepared and would prefer not to be shown up. I worry about this in real life whenever I go to the Theatre- worry that the professionals are going to forget their lines. Ridiculous. I imagine that this is why I hate Britain’s Got Talent and X Factor- people laughing at anothers expense. You’ve Been Framed is ok though as they’ve been compensated with £250 (will this amount ever increase?)
5) Getting caught up in Narcos (TV series about Pablo Escobar)- see above for accidental drug mule fear.
Well there you go. Would love to hear your Favourite Worst Nightmares, if only so I have a few more on rotation…